UK Student Visa
Custom Search

UK Student Visa

To qualify to travel to the UK as a student you must be able to prove that you have been accepted on a course of study at an educational establishment that is on the UK 's Department for Education and Skills (DfES) Register of Education and Training Providers. You are able to search this register on the DfES website at

You must be able to show that you are going to register on one of the following:

In addition you must:

You must make your application to the relevant British Mission and this must have been approved and a visa endorsed in your passport before you attempt to travel to the United Kingdom.

If you are a student who successfully completes a degree course while in the UK, you may be able to switch into work permit approved employment, if you meet the requirements.

Can I Extend my Stay as a Student?

If you enter the UK with a student or prospective student visa, or you want to study on a course at degree level or higher, you can apply for an extension of stay to the Immigration and Nationality Directorate, which is a part of the Home Office. The Immigration and Nationality Directorate will charge you a fee for any extension to your stay.

The maximum period of time that a student can stay in the UK on short courses one after the other, below degree level, is two years. If you did not enter the UK with a student or prospective student visa or are not studying on a degree-level course or higher, you will not be allowed to extend your stay.

Can I take Employment?

You can take part-time or holiday work, but you must not:

If you are coming to the UK as a student for six months or less, you must ask the entry clearance officer for permission to work.

Can I Switch to Work Permit Employment when I am in the UK ?

You may be able to switch if:

view basket | your account | request catalogue